Thursday, August 9, 2007

Kevin Honeycutt's 21st Century Skills

I connected with Kevin Honeycutt's podcast because it is the same philosophy of teaching children to read and write. I use this quote to explain my beliefs to parents of the students that I teach: "To learn to swim, one must swim. To learn to skate, one must skate. To learn to walk, one must walk. To learn to read, one must read. To learn to write, one must write." In order for students to be prepared for a job force dependent on technology, we must immerse them in using technology. His podcast opened my eyes to this. Even our youngest students should be experiencing a world filled with technology. As the planner and facilitator, I would like some support on what are some current, real-life applications of technology that would be appropriate for young children. Through this course I have learned that blogs, wikis and on-demand videos and are good starting points. I am open to hearing about other technologies as well.

I think my "Seeing America" theme has the potential of connecting groups of people using a wikki. Students in Hilton can work on creating information about a state, and connect with a class from that area. Those local students will be able add their first hand information to Hilton students using pictures, video or text. The wiki could lead to the creation of a travel brochure or other real life application of the information as a culminating activity.

Any other ideas, please submit them to me. I need all the help that I can get!!
Thanks

No comments: