Sunday, August 12, 2007

Technology is More than Just Computers

I was extremely motivated after watching the YouTube clip Some More Food for Thought (Is that actually the title?) It sent a powerful message to me, as a teacher and a parent. It makes perfect sense to utilize the vehicles our students are using daily as educational tools for learning. I have always felt as though I was a cutting edge teacher because I am constantly looking for better ways to teach children using authentic tasks that engage and immerse students. I can't believe it has not occurred to me before this video that computers are not the only technology we can and should be using. A new door has been opened for me.

The interview with Dr. Yong Zhao was interesting as well. I respected his opinions, especially when he talked about children's "need of genuine work" and "being a contributor". He has valuable insight into the change of education as we know it. Maybe the Michigan high schools that he mentioned should have the teachers required to get online learning experiences along with the graduating students. If teachers are not using these technologies personally, it would be impossible for them to use in their teaching.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Erin, you said, "If teachers are not using these technologies personally, it would be impossible for them to use in their teaching" and I couldn't agree with you more! I attended a conference not too long ago and one of the keynote presenters said the same thing. He said that we must be living the technology our students are living if we are to use it to enhance teaching and learning and that was a very powerful statement for me.