Friday, June 29, 2007

First Blogs, Now Wikis!

I understand the literal difference between a blog and a wiki, but it is not real life for me yet. When would you use a blog instead of a wiki? A wiki seems to be a blog, but it is interactive for the user. Any feedback would be much appreciated.

I am glad that I never created a classroom web page, now that I have learned about Wikis. It adds another demension home/school communication. There are always questions that you are asked by several people. Now you can provide your response to everyone at one time. I love the idea Terri shared about the teacher who puts his newletter on his blog as a podcast. How easy for teachers to share and parents to hear. What should we do about those without a computer?

I love the Village Wiki. The fact that the students are learning, creating and publishing for a real audience that exists outside of the classroom means that we have a real opportunity to create authentic learning for students. Motivation and good work habits are built into the process. This is very powerful.

In terms of my Traveling Across America project, I am thinking that a wiki would allow students to connect with people in other parts of the country and work together to create acurate information about each place.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

"In terms of my Traveling Across America project, I am thinking that a wiki would allow students to connect with people in other parts of the country and work together to create acurate information about each place."

I think this would be a great idea. A way to create sort of an encyclopedia of areas of the country.