Monday, June 11, 2007

Exploring Four Video Sharing Sites

I found Wesley Fryer's podcast to be very intriguing. The creators of VISTA were thoughtful of the needs of the teachers and the students. I appreciate that the video clips are reviewed before they can be accessed. The amount of material available is certainly small right now.

Teacher Tube had more of a selection available. I was pleased that I could see other teachers illustrate lessons and teaching strategies through this . Staff development is just a click away. I think Teacher Tube is a bit more difficult to navigate through.

You Tube and Clip Blast are too cumbersome for me. Too much of the material is not useful and timeconsuming to wade through. I also would not feel comfortable having children exposed to a site that could potentially allow them to see footage of subject matter that is inappropriate for a young viewing audience.

As I think about my theme of "Traveling Across America" for next year, VISTA and Teacher Tube could provide my students with an upclose and personal view of different places and different people that they may otherwise not have the opportunity to experience. It also would allow for them to create a video sharing their community with others, as they make personal choices on what makes their community unique. The fact that students can create video to demonstrate their learning is a powerful tool. I am questioning why the Global Views' Collection on VISTA is noted as being "made by and for teenagers". Is this a requirement?

1 comment:

LoriB said...

Erin,

I've been talking with Rushton Hurley, the creator of NextVista for Learning. He is very interested in teaming with us to create more content for his site. He's looking for videos created by teachers and created by students. I think he would be flexible about the age of the students as long as the content was good. I'll keep you updated.